10.12.2008

Responsibility- Are You Doing Your Best?

Here is the talk I gave in sacrament meeting today. The Bishop called on Friday and asked me to address the ward. When asked about a topic, he said what ever I would like to say. So this was the result:

(Notice this is an outline. I could type in all the in-between words, but I don't want to. If you have questions or want clarification, leave a comment. Thanks!)


· Discussing with my father my speaking assignment here today and discussing various topics and gospel ideas.

· He asked me a simple question: What is your responsibility (he didn’t say job, or calling, but RESPONSIBILITY) as EQ president. From there inspiration took over.

· My topic today is Responsibility. An accounting of mine, and a reminder of yours.

My father gave me this scripture reference to use.

· 2 Timothy Chapter 3
1 This knows also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.


EQ Presidencies job to look after the TEMPORAL NEEDS of the ward.

Worried that with all the unrest in the world- the economic faltering of our country, the crumbling of morals and standards, the more and more common practice of leaving children to raise themselves as there is a breakdown in the family unit, and ever increasing drug and alcohol abuse problems.

Very overwhelming to think about how to help the ward.

As we received training from our High Councilor, he spent several hours patiently teaching my counselors and I what our duties were and how to accomplish them. Encouraged us to prayerful write a vision statement.

Vision statement: To see every brother embraced and to embrace the gospel.

Maybe need a ward vision statement that is similar: To see every MEMBER embraced and to embrace the gospel.

Ways we are working to accomplish this Vision Statement:

Have been teaching lessons to support this concept and will continue to do that.

Encourage and support our Elder’s to do their home teaching each month. Realizing it is ultimately their responsibility to get it done. We simply can’t do it for them.

Work with the R.S. to provide resources and training in the food storage and emergency preparedness area.

Holding PPI’s with quorum members

Working with the Sunday School presidency to provide training and support for our teachers

Trying to visit less active families to provide support and fellowshipping.

This ISN’T bragging- it’s an accounting of what we are doing to help accomplish the Lord’s work.

I challenge you to ask yourself if you are following through on your responsibilities.

Doubt will have to give an accounting in front of the ward. But one day Lord.

Let’s work together Bro. and Sis. To fulfill our responsibilities.
-HT/ VT
-Family Home Evening
-Family, Companion, and Personal Prayer
-Scripture Study (Personal and Family)
-Examples to others
-Accept AND Fulfill Church callings
-Temple attendance
-The stopping of rumors and hurtful gossip

-Disappointing to learn that because so many members turned down the opportunity to clean the church that the Aux. have been assigned weeks to clean the building.

· Times are going to get harder before they get easier. We must rely upon the Lord for support, AFTER we have done all we can do.

I also mentioned that in my motto in my classroom was: "I Pledge to Do My Best". I told the ward that everyone's "best" is not the same. I asked them to think if they were doing their best. And if not, to work on it.

I know that these things are right. That our ward can do better at reaching out to our members (both active AND less active). Can you do better? Are you doing you best?

Keep the Faith...

1 comment:

Sharr said...

okay... can i just say that i LOVE this blog?? between this post and your wife's up above--it's so great to read a blog and feel uplifted afterwards.... it's also really great to know the two of you and to get to see how strong your testimonies are and to see this side of your life-- thanks so much for sharing and thanks for letting me peek :o)

Please Enjoy These Thoughts As Well:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...