12.19.2010

The Best Season of All

I can not believe that it has been 2 months since I have posted on this blog. I guess life has a way of catching up to you and then running you down. I think I finally got the tire marks off my forehead and can move forward with life.

I know that the Lord works in mysterious ways. I just went through a pretty tough ordeal in my life- applying for a job and not getting it. I am glad that I have the knowledge that I do about our Savior. I know that what happened was what is supposed to happen- just maybe not the why. And, I think that I can even live with that as well. In fact, it was  funny. After school was over, and I knew that I did not get the job, my oldest son walked into my classroom (he is in 5th grade) and looked at me. I told them that I didn't get the job. He walked over and put his arms around my waist. I was so touched that he would know what I needed right then (as my wife wasn't available to do it- and I really did need that!). He looked up at me and smiled a little and said, "Dad, I am sorry you didn't get the job...but I am so excited that you will get to be my teacher all day next year." It totally made me laugh and able to face the other meetings that I had to attend with a much lighter outlook. I think it is funny that he was trying so hard to be supportive of my choice to interview, but must have secretly been worried that I wouldn't get to be his teacher next year. I look forward to that now more than ever.

I am so thankful for all my babies. I can't believe that we are adding one last spirit to our home in May. We find out on December 27th if it will be a boy or a girl. I am SO praying for a little girl, but will be happy to just have a healthy- perfect baby. We have been getting a lot of teasing from people about needing a bus, etc. with all the kids. I guess those people don't understand that even though there is a lot of stress with many children (and some days you are VERY THANKFUL FOR BED TIME, nothing is sweeter than having my kids piled around me, or excited to see me walk through the front door. How wonderful!

I love this holiday season so much. I can't believe that it is nearly over AGAIN! Seven... only 7 more days until Christmas day. I have struggled more and more over the years to even feel the holiday spirit. This year seems just as empty, but I can grasp a glimpse every now and then as I watch my children get more and more excited. One thing that does help is that we have a wonderful tradition that we do every year. Each night we read a scripture and add a piece to a nativity set (this was a kit we received from an in-law). Then the kids unwrap one of our holiday pictures books (my wife wraps 24 of them each December- that way the kids don't know what book they are selecting AND they get to open a "gift", they love it!). I read the story and we talk about it. Some are spiritual, some are traditional. If makes for a great time. Then we move the mouse on our little calendar that I have had since I was in high school, and this year we added a new adventure. We bought a Lego's advent calendar. That has been a big hit. The kids rotate "jobs" each night. It has really been a lot of fun.

I am also looking forward to Christmas Eve this year as well. My brother and his wife have invited us over to their house (along with my parents, etc.) for a "Traditional Hughes Family Christmas". We will be making homemade pizza, driving around to look at lights, and opening Christmas Jammies along with other fun traditions and activities. That will be one to remember!

I hope that the reason for the season finds each and everyone of you...and you choose to embrace it!

Keep the Faith...

No comments:

Please Enjoy These Thoughts As Well:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...