10.14.2012

Parables and Their Meaning



Today was a great day. As I was sitting in Gospel Doctrine class, I found myself rereading the scripture that was shared over and over. The teacher had everyone turn to Luke 15:4-7. It reads:

 What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he lose one of them, doth not leave the ninety and nine ain the wilderness, and go after that which is blost, until he find it?
 And when he hath found it, he layeth it on his shoulders, rejoicing.
 And when he cometh home, he calleth together his friends and neighbours, saying unto them, Rejoice with me; for I have found my sheep which was lost.
 I say unto you, that likewise ajoy shall be in heaven over onebsinner that crepenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.
The discussion continued as everyone shared that they thought about various parts of the parable. 
However, I kept reading down the page. This is what comes next:
 ¶Either what woman having ten pieces of silver, if she lose oneapiece, doth not light a candle, and sweep the house, and seek diligently till she find it?
 And when she hath found it, she calleth her friends and herneighbours together, saying, Rejoice with me; for I have found the piece which I had lost.

It hit me like a ton of bricks. The Lord wasn't only talking to the brethren of the church. He was talking to the sisters as well. And, I couldn't help but wonder if these two parables have a deeper meaning.

I wonder if the parable about the shepherd, was in reference to those around us, those that we can reach out to to help- friends, neighbors, strangers...

And I wonder just a little bit, if the second part of that parable was meant to help mothers see just how important their role really IS at home. I pondered about the idea that this second part is about seeking out FAMILY members, those in our home (or who WERE in our home) and helping them return to the fold.


I guess in some ways the ideas overlap, and in some ways they don't. Even if this isn't what the Lord meant, I think it raises a great point- one worth thinking about.



No comments:

Please Enjoy These Thoughts As Well:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...